She'll Grow Back: Robert Plant and Alison Krauss - Nothin'

Sunday, March 16, 2008

Robert Plant and Alison Krauss - Nothin'

I know how late I am to this party. Really, I do. But just because this album was all the rage months ago does not mean I suck for just having bought it myownself this week.

I've LISTENED to it all, a while ago (thanks, Jen!). But I didn't fall in love with this song till yesterday. This is a Townes Van Zandt song, and I love Townes. (But his version doesn't stand out from his other songs, not for me.) This version stands out from everything, because it has that fiddle. Ms. Krauss plays fiddle like a 60-year old blind blues singer plays the harmonica, with all the weight of the world coming out through the bow. I have a serious crush on her now, just because of this (much the same way I crushed on Scarlet Rivera because of her fiddle on, say, "Isis".)

The CD was produced by T-Bone Burnett, Coen musical supervisor (that is to say, responsible for the O Brother and Ladykillers and Lebowski soundtracks) and artist in his own right. He's my second favorite producer-artist working right now, right behind Daniel Lanois.

This track is so good it makes me weak in the knees.


PS -- Alzheimer's research needs funding. You can give as little as a dollar through this link. Do it for Terry Pratchett.


2 comments:

Cr Swan said...

Very nice. I would imagine this song and album will renew my SO's lifelong desire to master the fiddle. I appreciate her desire, but as a potential audience to those months of practice sessions, I tremble in fear. We are currently at a stalemate ... I don't go try practicing sax or harmonica, and no fiddle.

Mark H. Besotted said...

You could compromise: she can practice the trumpet, and you can learn to play the drums.

And the cats can play the theremin. (Note to self: buy theremin, record cats playing it.)