She'll Grow Back: Multiple Mondays: I Put A Spell On You Volume Two

Monday, June 9, 2008

Multiple Mondays: I Put A Spell On You Volume Two

Volume One is here.

This is Volume Two of our Multiple Mondays collection of ever-so-many versions of Screamin' Jay Hawkins' voodoo classic. (I'll only post Volume Three if someone specifically requests it.) Volume Two focuses on rockin' garage band covers (except for the Joe Cocker version), almost all from the 1960s. I haven't made any effort to arrange these in chronological order, since most of them were recorded within about five years of each other, and I can't hear any evidence that any of them inspired any of the others in any significant way.

The Animals' version is from 1966, after Alan Price had left the group to follow his solo muse -- one of his hit singles was his version of this song, also released in 1966. This entry marks two Mondays in a row with a CCR recording -- I don't think there'll be one next week, though. (Again this week I've passed up the opportunity for dueling live covers from Fogerty and his ex-bandmates, though both of them are good.)



5 comments:

CD said...

Seriously, are you stalking my music collection?

i used to pride myself back in college on my covers of "IPASOY." Yours surpasses mine by a country mile, though now i'm adding these to my list.

Mark H. Besotted said...

I put most of these together two years ago over just a few days, for a friend at work. I guess that's a vote for Volume Three then.

And as to Stagger Lee, I think for bandwidth reasons the ones I've posted so far might go into a convenient zip file, so stay tuned for that.

CD said...

The Them cover seems to have a couple of audio glitches in the opening minute, FYI.

Or i'm a maroon when it comes to downloading. Either/or.

Mark H. Besotted said...

Whoops. That'll teach me to not check every file before uploading. Fixed now. Thanks for keeping me honest.

CD said...

Thank YOU for the kick ass additions to my collection.