She'll Grow Back: Multiple Mondays: River

Monday, December 15, 2008

Multiple Mondays: River

Today you get eight versions of painter-turned-music-legend Joni Mitchell's (fansite wiki AMG) 1971 "River." She first started singing by belting out Christmas carols in a children's hospital. By 1971 she was in California, missing the winters of Canada and writing a "selfish and sad" paean to the end of a relationship.

I don't have a lot to say about this song, except that I had planned at one point to include every single one of these versions on this year's compilation, Have Yourself A Depressing Little Christmas. (Watch this space -- I'm posting it soon!) Also, I acquired almost all of these from BoyHowdy at his legendary coverblog Cover Lay Down. If I ever get around to putting together a blogroll, he's in the top three.

These songs are, in the approximate order you might want to listen, by Joni Mitchell, Tori Amos (live), Peter Mulvey, Rachael Yamagata, Angus Stone, Sarah McLachlan, Allison Crowe, and Travis.




5 comments:

CD said...

Depressing Xmas tracks? i assume you've got Over the Rhine's "All I Ever Get For Christmas Is Blue." That new track by Kingston Bridge, "Christmas On Ward #7" probably makes sense, too. And i've got a copy of Fiona Apple doing "Blues at Christmas" live at some KROQ show that's pretty decent, too.

Me, i prefer the "probably inappropriate Xmas mix."

Mark H. Besotted said...

Over The Rhine is indeed present and accounted for. Haven't heard the others.

Next year I'll put together a collection of prison Christmas songs. There were two (or was it three) on last year's blues compilation, which I'm posting tomorrow, plus I have a couple more stored up.

Still to come before the month is up: At least one more guestpost, a bunch of songs about elves, and two brand new compilations, themed to Depressing and Magical. Oh, and Stan Freberg's "Christmas Dragnet" too.

CD said...

//a collection of prison Christmas songs//

And this, my friend, is why i keep coming back for more.

boyhowdy said...

Thanks for the props; especially happy to see the Angus Stone version up there; I think it may well be my favorite.

Have since found a few more faves, of course -- I'm thinking of putting up the new cover from Amy Kuney ASAP.

Mark H. Besotted said...

Ooh, that IS pretty.

Whenever I get around to reposting this, I'll add that version to the zip.

http://www.myspace.com/amykuney