She'll Grow Back: Stagger Lee Saturdays - Tom Jones

Saturday, May 30, 2009

Stagger Lee Saturdays - Tom Jones

To quote the trailer for Mars Attacks!*, "Yes, Tom Jones." (This is another person you probably don't need the links for.)

I've had this version for a while, but I've been sitting on it because, well, it's not particularly good. It's not bad, either, but it's just so... mediocre. Tom's performance is okay, but I don't know if I'd classify it as "Rockin'."

Anyway, I had the opportunity to see Mr. Jones live in Las Vegas, and passed. (There were a lot of people I could've seen live in Las Vegas, but Tom's the only one I know of that's recorded a version of Stag.) I did get to hear, through an open theater door, Tom welcoming his audience to the MGM Grand. Does that count?

Anyway, here's another take on Lloyd Price's version of the Stagger Lee legend. More Vegas audio tomorrow, as I begin a new feature here on She'll Grow Back: Silly Sundays. Stay tuned!

Tom Jones - Stagger Lee
mirror 1 -- mirror 2
Buy from Amazon



*Mars Attacks! is one of my favorite Vegas movies. Odd, I know, since you don't see much of it outside of Tom's show and the Neon Graveyard.

No comments: