She'll Grow Back: Stagger Lee Saturdays - Tom Rush

Saturday, July 4, 2009

Stagger Lee Saturdays - Tom Rush

Tom Rush (official Wiki AMG) is a folk singer who's been a professional musician for 48 years. This is from an early album, recorded in 1963.

This version of Stag has a verse I've never heard anywhere else, wherein Stag's woman, Roberta, guesses that he's killed someone, and Stag replies that the sky does look foreboding, doesn't it. I know it looks silly typed up like that, but I swear the first time I heard this I shivered.

Remember last week when I was so down on Terry Melcher, and noted his version of "These Days" suffered from his delivery as much as his "Stag"? Well, Tom Rush recorded a version of "These Days" in 1970, and I'm happy to report that it is indeed excellent.




No comments: