She'll Grow Back: The Kooks - Beast of Burden / Sweet Jane medley

Friday, March 28, 2008

The Kooks - Beast of Burden / Sweet Jane medley

I like to provide people with information about the songs I post, but I have next to none about this. This is a medley that The Kooks like to perform live. I have no idea when or where this recording is from, but it's nice and clear, a good quality soundboard recording. (I got it here, where there's also a version of Bob's "Tangled Up In Blue.") The Kooks have opened for The Stones before, but I don't know if this was recorded before or after that. (They got their name from a David Bowie song.)

Still, for all the information I don't have about this live medley, it's still wonderful. It sounds so organic, like the two songs were specifically written to be together like this. (Until I heard this, my favorite live Velvets cover medley was Bishop Allen's traditional soundcheck of "Sister Ray/Roadrunner" which was indeed more organic, since Jonathan Richman deliberately wrote "Roadrunner" around the organ part of "Ray." Sadly, I have no MP3s of this soundcheck.)

5 comments:

The Chromium Swan said...

Very nice. The only better transition (gird yourself for me to bring the 80s into this) for me is Soft Cell's "Tainted Love".

The Chromium Swan said...

Also... a fun fact... I take my name from a David Bowie song.

Mark H. Besotted said...

No, I'm pretty sure you take your name from a Neil Innes song.

Also, YOU'RE a hobo's bathroom.

jimi, the exploder said...

That song was performed live in a french tv show called Taratata.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0WTxlAYT_4

Mark H. Besotted said...

Excellent. Thanks!