She'll Grow Back: Stagger Lee Saturdays - Dr. John

Saturday, April 5, 2008

Stagger Lee Saturdays - Dr. John

First off, I want to thank all of you who read this blog. I've had an awful, glitchy MP3 of this song for over 5 years, and my promise to post this finally made me upgrade.

Dr. John (born Mac Rebennack) is best known for his cult voodoo album Gris-Gris, released in 1968. Or he was until 2005, when he became the most prominent musician to hold benefits and charity events for his home state of Louisiana (which he's still actively doing to this day).

Go back a week, and listen to Archibald's version of this. Now listen to this one, recorded 22 years later. Not much difference, except of course for Dr. John's vocal style (which I can't get enough of).

3 comments:

Cr Swan said...

I have to say, I keep listening to these different versions and I still consider the Lloyd Price version my favorite (in no small part for sentimental reasons), followed very closely by the Taj Mahal version. Nothing wrong with some Dr. John, but this style doesn't suit the story for me. BTW, I've always figured Dr. John is just the Louisiana Billy Joel. I expect that just made you very angry.

Mark H. Besotted said...

Except, of course, that Dr. John is... what's the word?

Good.

I'm working on my Lloyd Price post -- not gonna do it till I have a nice MP3 of the nonviolent rerecording. Stay tuned!

Cr Swan said...

C'mon... I know Billy Joel has had some missteps (and pop-style songs you are obligated to hate), but you cannot even appreciate Pianoman... even with its Simonesque story telling/turn of phrase? Or River of Dreams (another song that would have been at home on a Paul Simon album). Of course, I haven't even mentioned the theme song to Bosom Buddies.