She'll Grow Back: Qu'est-ce Que C'est? -- It Don't Look Like Anything.

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Qu'est-ce Que C'est? -- It Don't Look Like Anything.

So I'm currently rereading (this is my third time through) Patricia Highsmith's novel The Talented Mr. Ripley. It's a lot darker and more complex than the movie (which I don't particularly care for -- watch John Malkovich play Tom Ripley in Ripley's Game for a much closer portrayal). The novel is disturbing the freaking hell out of me.

And then, this week, I went to see Okkervil River live, and their song "Westfall" is a disturbingly danceable portrayal of insane murder. So you all get to hear this. (I've been holding onto some of these songs since I put together the Crazy? Probably mix, since I thought I might do something like this.) If you didn't already do so, remember to download yesterday's post too, since only the original version of "Psycho Killer" is in this mix, and there are five more covers there.

01 - Talking Heads - Psycho Killer
02 - Johnny Cash - Delia's Gone
03 - Neko Case - Make Your Bed
04 - Violent Femmes - Country Death Song
05 - The Byrds - Pretty Polly
06 - Springtime Is Wartime - Psycho Killer
07 - C. W. McCall - Comin' Back for More
08 - Jason Isbell - Psycho Killer
09 - Okkervil River - Westfall
10 - Bishop Allen - Psycho Killer
11 - Sufjan Stevens - John Wayne Gacy, Jr.
12 - The Faint - Psycho Killer
13 - Lou Reed - The Gun
14 - The Beatles - Maxwell's Silver Hammer
15 - Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - The Curse Of Millhaven
16 - Wyclef Jean - Delia's Gone




No comments: