She'll Grow Back: Stagger Lee Saturdays - Taj Mahal

Saturday, April 26, 2008

Stagger Lee Saturdays - Taj Mahal

This is the second version of Stag I heard in my young life (the first, of course, being Lloyd Price). It's from a 1969 double album which also includes Taj Mahal's covers of Hank Ballard, The Band, Leadbelly and even Dave Dudley's "Six Days On The Road."

This is the first blues album I ever bought (after hearing Taj on Prairie Home Companion) and probably still the one I've listened to all the way through the most times.

Taj Mahal is, no foolin, the official blues musician of the Commonwealth of Massachusettes. For comparative purposes, the official insect is the ladybug, the official marine mammal is the right whale, and the official rock is the Roxbury Puddingstone. (I'm not sure, but I think that might also be the name of one of Bertie Wooster's close chums -- though he probably goes by "Bongo".)





No comments: