She'll Grow Back: Multiple Mondays (kinda): (Ghost) Riders In The Sky

Monday, May 26, 2008

Multiple Mondays (kinda): (Ghost) Riders In The Sky

I missed last week's Multiple Monday, and I'm in the middle of compiling a monster for next week. But I couldn't let two Mondays in a row go by without something. So I'm going to let someone else do my work for me. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you lilgorgor, and his tribute to (Ghost) Riders In The Sky!

(For background on the song, click through to Wikipedia's entry.) My favorites on this page are, in no particular order:

Johnny Cash
Frankie Laine
The Ventures
Peggy Lee (edited to add this, so as to point out that it's Peggy Lee's birthday today!)
And Walter Brennan's spoken version (I haven't been able to verify this yet, but I'm almost positive the backing vocals are from The Mellomen, one of whom is, yes, our patron saint, Thurl Ravenscroft).

The more observant among you will note that I also used another of these versions as a secret bonus track on a recent collection here. I won't tell you which -- that will remain an exercise for the reader.

No comments: