She'll Grow Back: Eddie Izzard - Being For The Benefit of Mr. Kite!

Thursday, July 3, 2008

Eddie Izzard - Being For The Benefit of Mr. Kite!

So I saw Eddie Izzard twice in Atlanta last week. And here is a musical track from him, his cover of a classic Beatles song from Sgt. Pepper.

You should really click on that first link if you're not familiar with the song, so you can hear just how much Eddie is improvising lyrically here. The original lyrics are based on an old 1843 circus poster that John Lennon became enamored with, and the song incorporates some interesting chord changes and an incredible use of tape loops.

This performance is from Eddie's cameo in Across The Universe, a film I have yet to see (I feel a little leery that it'll be that Bee Gees/George Burns movie all over again). You can see the movie clip here. I should point out that the soundtrack isn't bad, for what it is (which is a collection of covers of classic songs, most of which I consider perfect, with slight musical and production updates presumably undertaken to make the songs more palatable for today's tastes). It certainly doesn't make me cringe and leave the room, like I do with the Bee Gees/Frampton soundtrack.

This song is certainly my personal favorite from the album, but then I'm a sucker for anything Izzard.



No comments: