She'll Grow Back: Stagger Lee Saturdays - The Black Keys

Saturday, November 1, 2008

Stagger Lee Saturdays - The Black Keys

The Black Keys are an Akron, OH band into blues/rock, who are apparently always compared to The White Stripes. They also had a song on the soundtrack to Black Snake Moan, a few years after they recorded this take on Stag.

This is, to my knowledge, a unique song, lyrically and musically. I've never heard another Stag anything like this. This has, in my little mind, potential to become another pop template for Stag, much like Lloyd Price's version did all those years ago. It's got a great swagger to it, like all good renditions of Stag's story. And that bluesy wah-wah guitar is addictive. If I were not seriously in debt, I'd be buying CDs from them right this second.

Thanks go to CD for mentioning this version in the comments, many months ago. Here's a magnificent live version, with links to lots more on the side. (I need to go through and rip all those audio tracks, I guess...)



4 comments:

CD said...

Hey, my pleasure. i still wouldn't know what the hell the song was about if not for you.

CD said...

Equally important, i think now would be as good a time as any to thank Dan Auerbach for his tireless work in promoting the return of the full beard.

Is there anything that band does that isn't kick ass?

Mark H. Besotted said...

I think props should also go out to Hayden and Wayne "Flaming Lips" Coyne for promoting the big curly beard.

I just did a quick Google, and found this:

http://www.theplugg.com/2008/02/06/best-facial-hair-in-modern-rock/

CD said...

That could be the best list i've seen all day. Had Grandaddy not made the list, i would have called it a sham, at best. Points off for leaving the aforementioned Dan off, but still.